I’ve started hacking on a monotone plugin for indefero – a source code / project management tool which supports various SCM backends. You can find the code for it on github (git, because, well, indefero uses git…).
While there are a couple of web-related tools for monotone, namely TracMonotone and ViewMTN, both projects haven’t seen many updates over the last couple of years and are now even maintained by a single person who has not much time either. Having very good and broad tool support is however crucial for an SCM system, because only very few people are willing to use the command line for everything, so I hope that the addition of indefero as tool which will support monotone in one of its next versions will help both projects a little.
The code is still in alpha state, but one can already browse branches and revisions. My current TODO is as follows:
- finalize the implementation of the changelog view done
- make branch names shorter in the UI so they don’t overlap with the tree contents done
- add automate stdio support for the SCM backend class, so we don’t need to create a separate process for every data request done
- add automate remote_stdio support (possibly by adding a configuration option which allows either setup)
- truncate the log message in the tree view to a proper size
- dynamically change the clone url to the branch which the user is currently browsing done
- check the inTags() and inBranch() implementations – apparently this does not work as it should done
Especially the multi-project nature of indefero requires some additional hacks in monotone and also one of its tools, usher (which is able to serve multiple distinct databases over one connection), so this plugin project really drives a lot of development. If you’re interested in either part and want to team up, drop me a note 😉